Labor Day weekend is almost upon us and summer is coming to an end. If you follow @LatinaHealthy on Instagram, you’ll see a few of my latest healthy recipe creations, including this amazing Kale and Broccoli Salad with steak, avocado and Annie’s Organic Green Garlic salad dressing!
There are few things I love more than summer fruit and “fresh from the garden” taste, but don’t let the end of summer get you down. Follow these 10 tips de mi familia for making the most out of your produce selections and enter to win the giveaway sponsored by Walmart.
- Don’t wash fruit right when you get home, but wait until you plan to eat it. Use an all-natural fruit wash to help remove any unwanted dirt or residue.
- Never put tomatoes in the fridge.
- Have a plan for when you are going to eat fruits and vegetables so you don’t let them get overripe.
- Put fruit like nectarines and peaches in a brown paper bag overnight if they are not ripening quick enough.
- Hang bananas to keep them fresher longer.
- Leave grapes on the vine as long as possible and freeze them for a quick summer treat.
- When bananas, blueberries and strawberries are overripe, cut them up and freeze them for smoothies. Ripe bananas can also be used for baking and can act as a natural sweetener.
- Keep produce where you can see it in the fridge. When it’s right in front of you, the chances of reaching for a healthy snack increases and it’s easier to incorporate into a meal.
- Squeeze lime juice on apple slices to keep them looking fresh and stay crisp longer. Put the slices in a container with peanut butter for the perfect on-the-go snack.
- Enter to win the Healthy Latina #WMTfresh Giveaway sponsored by Walmart and receive a $50 Walmart gift card!
Comment on this post below or tweet “I want to win a $50 Walmart gift card via @healthylatina! #WMTfresh” to be entered into the drawing. Two winners will be selected by September 5.Walmart provided me with gift cards, but the thoughts and tips shared in this post are entirely my own.