‘Fresh Crew’ Black Bean Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing Recipe and Giveaway
Summertime is full of outdoor barbecues, games, family gatherings and the occasional trip to the beach or the pool. It’s in those moments you wish you didn’t go for the cheeseburger or second helping of arrachera, right? When it’s your turn to entertain, keep it healthy and try a lighter, fresher menu.
As a member of the Walmart ‘Fresh Crew’ sponsored by Walmart, I was able to tour the produce section of the Chicago Neighborhood Market. While I was there, I picked up a few things for a black bean salad and got a little creative in the process.
Black Bean Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
This fresh, crisp salad is perfect for summer nights. I paired it with pan seared skirt steak and tomatoes with a side of avocado.
- 1 package of fresh tomatoes on the vine
- 1 can of black beans
- 3 ears of sweet corn
- 1 package of skirt steak pre-cut into strips
- 3 limes
- Olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Start by prepping a large pot with water and set to boil. Shuck the ears of corn and place in the pot with water. Do not salt the water because it will make the texture of the corn tough. Let boil for 8-10 minutes.
- While that is cooking, open the can of black beans and strain the water out. Place in a large bowl and let sit.
- Dice the tomatoes into chunks and place in the bowl with the beans.
- Drizzle olive oil in a medium bowl and toss skirt steak strips with salt and pepper. Heat up a large pan with a drizzle of olive oil and add the steak.
- As the steak cooks, remove the ears of corn from the boiling water. “Shave” the kernels off with a knife for each of them and set aside
- For the dressing, loosely chop the cilantro and set aside. Juice the limes into a blender and add cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Blend the dressing until fully combined and the cilantro is very small.
- Remove the steak and tomatoes from the pan and set aside. While the pan is still hot, toss the corn in the pan for extra flavor.
- For the final touch, slice an avocado and serve! That’s it!
Thank you to everyone who has entered the Walmart ‘Fresh Crew’ Giveaway! You still have time to enter! Comment on this post below or tweet “I want to win a $50 Walmart gift card via @healthylatina! #WMTfresh” to be entered into the drawing. Two winners will be selected by September 5.Walmart provided me with gift cards, but the thoughts and tips shared in this post are entirely my own.