Creating new Holiday traditions
The year 2012 has been a year of overwhelming love, pain, heartbreak and joy. There have been moments this year that have not only tested the strength of my own family, but the families of others as well. We have watched the world change in so many ways and have seen so many tragedies this year that this holiday season is one to cherish. We may not have all of our family members with us; whether we’ve had to say goodbye or they will be out of town. We may have new additions; friends, family and others to join in on our celebrations this year. Either way, now is the time to create new traditions that represent who we are now and bring together everyone we love for a celebration of life and love.
As we begin to count down the days until Christmas and New Years, the pressure to create a great holiday spread can be demanding. Finding ways to keep your dishes healthy this year is even more difficult. Channeling my inner Chef Pepín, I decided to take a shot at an avocado dish that’s been circulating the Pinterest-sphere for quite some time. I’ve seen them but doubted their ability to
- Hold the test of movement from milk-to-breading-to-pan-to-flipping
- Taste good
- Mix crunchy and creamy textures to where it’d be appetizing
I love avocados for their taste, but even more for the healthy fat and omega-3 that they provide. They are a filling and healthy addition to almost every meal in my house. Instead of the typical deep fried taquitos in my house, I wanted to try out this new dish and see how’d it hold up to the test of my “particularly good taste.”
I adapted this recipe from various Pinterest and Google versions I ran into. When I look at recipes, I look at what I can eliminate to where it’d be healthier and what I can change so don’t have to brave the crowded grocery stores for new ingredients. Fortunately, this one is easy and delicious using everything I already have on-hand.
Healthy, Crispy, Crunchy Avocado Fries with Lime Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1 Avocado by Avocados from Mexico
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- 1/2 c Bisquick Heart Smart
- 1/2 c Italian Bread Crumbs (I like the seasoning and use these for everything)
- 1 c Milk
- 1 c Ranch dressing
- Olive oil
- In a medium pan, drizzle a generous helping of your favorite olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and turn to medium heat.
- Allow the pan to warm up while you cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and then cut again into long, thin slices
- Scoop out using a large spoon and separate individually and place onto a plate
- For the breading mixture, take 1/2 c Bisquick Heart Smart and combine with 1/2 c Italian Bread Crumbs in a small bowl. Top with 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Chili Flakes and mix to combine evenly
- In a small bowl, pour the milk and dip an avocado slice so it is completely submerged using a fork
- Place the avocado slice in the breading mixture and coat evenly so it is entirely breaded
- Using the fork, place the slice into the pan for 35-40 seconds on each side until breading is fried and golden and place on a plate
- Repeat until all avocado slices are breaded and transfer to a cute dish
- For the sauce, combine 1 c Ranch dressing and squeeze half of the fresh lime over it and mix to combine completely. Add the rest of the Red Pepper Chili Flakes on top and stir in
- Transfer to a cute bowl and serve. Be prepared for oohs and ahhs and be ready to make another batch if need be!
Appetizer serving size 2-4 people.
This has been a sponsored post by Avocados from Mexico. All opinions are my own.